Welcome to Mrs. Shelley’s third grade!
Communication is key! We are all here for the same reason, and that is to make sure our children receive the best education they can. This means you and I must be a team. Learning does not only take place in the classroom, and it is very important that we communicate to make sure the needs of our children are met in and out of the classroom.
Reminder: Check OptionC as often as possible so that you are in the loop with your child’s grades.
A few ways to contact me:
-Class Dojo app accessed through cell phone or computer
-Class Folder: This folder goes home and comes back everyday. You must check this folder daily! Please send tuition or other money in an envelope with your child’s name and what it is for.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. I am confident that we will have a great year!
This week in third grade Sept. 24 – 28
ELA – Unit I Living and Learning
Essential Question: Which skills help us make our way in the world?
Story Selection: Kumak’s Fish
Guided Question: How can we achieve goals?
Text Based Comprehension
Sequencing & visualizing CCSS informational text 1, 3
Fluency – expression CCSS Foundational skill 4.b
Writing and conventions – organization, writing a thank you note,
declarative & interrogative sentences CCSS Language 2 Writing 2.a, 2.b
Phonics & Spelling- base words with endings -ed, -ing, -er, -est
Speaking/listening 4, tell a story
Oral vocabulary CCSS , Language 6
Selection Vocabulary- unknown words & dictionary/glossary CCSS Language 4, 4.d Foundational Skills 3
gear splendid willow parka twitch yanked
Phonics and spelling- Plurals -s, -es, -ies CCSS Language 2.e, Foundational Skills 3.
Vocabulary words Kumak’s Fish
- brainstorm a sudden, very good idea
- design a sketch, drawing, or plan from which you work
- collaborate to work with someone to create something
- amusement fun or entertaining
- announcement a statement made to the public
- rehearsal practice that helps you prepare for a performance
- admirably in a way that is admired or respected
- adequate enough, or as much as is needed
- enthusiasm strong excitement or feeling
- using 11. strangest
- getting 12. freezing
- easiest 13. funniest
- swimming 14. angrier
- heavier 15. Shopped
- greatest 16. included
- pleased 17. occurred
- emptied 18. supplying
- leaving 19. scarier
- worried 20. happiest
Math – Topic 2 multiplication facts: use patterns
Essential question: How can unknown multiplication facts be found using patterns and properties?
Students will be able to:
- Recall facts automatically and examine patterns that arise
- Examine patterns when multiplying 9
- Learn about the zero property of multiplication
- Multiply by multiples of 10
- Use multiple patterns with factors 0, 1, 2, 5, 9, 10
3.OA.A.1, – interpret products of whole numbers
3.OA.A.3 – use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word
problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities
3.OA.A.5 – apply properties of operations as strategies to multiply and divide
*Religion Chapter 2 Jesus teaches us about God’s love
Overview and chapter story
Students will understand that:
- Jesus tells us how much God loves us
- Jesus teaches about the Kingdom of God
- Jesus teaches about the gift of faith
- Jesus dies and rises to save us
Unit I People Build Communities
Review Chapter 1 Life in Communities Project
Lesson 1 Learning about communities
Vocabulary community, construction, citizen
rural, urban , suburbs
Begin Chapter 2 Communities and Geography
Lesson 1 The geography of communities
Vocabulary: geography, land form, plain, plateau, region, climate, adapt
Why is it important to learn about geography?
- People and geography
- Land and water
- Climate or weather
Science – exploring energy and forces
What are different forms of energy?
How can energy be stored?
How can we use stored energy?