Welcome to Second Grade
Mrs. Luback’s Class
CONGRATULATIONS! You are now a member of Second Grade! My name is Mrs. Luback and I look forward to working with my new class as well as parents to improve, encourage and challenge each individual student to work to their fullest potential this school year. Although this year will be very different together we will learn while we are all challenged by this “new normal”.
Being a member of Class 2-1 means you are eager and ready to learn. Believe in yourself. Believe you can achieve. If you think someone could use a friend, be one! We are a winning team!
Let’s keep the lines of communication open. Working with your child is a team effort keeping in mind that not all learning takes place in the classroom……not all teaching is done by the teacher…..and not all learning is done by the children.
Take a look at how 2-1 is social distancing!
- Students arrive at 7:45 and assemble in the large school yard.
- Grade 2 will be using ClassDojo for all schoolwork and communication
- Attendance for remote days is taken between 8 and 8:15
- Zoom meeting and passcode will be posted on ClassDojo
- Please remember to complete Daily Home Screening on Option C
- Cohort A – Monday and Wednesday in school
- Cohort B- Tuesday and Thursday in school
- Cohorts A and B Remote on Friday: All students ‘like’ the daily attendance post between 8:00-8:15. Students must be in their gym uniform.
8:20-9:05 Morning Meet and Greet Welcome Activity Check and go over Homework
9:10-9:50 Vocabulary/Spelling come on zoom using class ID and Passcode for a short time to get directions on what you’ll be doing for your independent work
10:00-10:40 Reading/ELA we are Zooming at this time/ Thurs. Cohort B Gym
10:50-11-30 Math we are Zooming at this time
12:20-1:00 Social Studies/Science we are zooming at this time/ Mon. Cohort A Gym Tues. Art Both cohorts in school and at home
1:10 -1:45- Religion we are zooming at this time
1:45 prepare to for dismissal
To speak with me with any concerns you may write a note, DOJO message me or email me at CLuback@scgstl.org
Class Schedule: Gym and Art
MONDAY: Cohort A Has Gym 12:20-1:00
TUESDAY: Art both in class and on zoom 12:20-1:00
THURSDAY: Cohort B Has Gym 10:00-10:40
FRIDAY: Remote learning for all!
WEEKLY ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE POSTED HERE FOR THE WEEK AND DAILY ON OUR CLASS DOJO PAGE
Week of: June 14th- June 18th
READING : This week we will continue Unit 6: Traditions, Week 4. This week we will introduce Story Title:Cowboys. Our EQ we will be discussing: What can we learn about cowboys traditions? For our writing prompt we will be writing an AD A job description for hiring Cowboys and Cowgirls CCSS: Writing 3.
ELA/GRAMMAR: We will introduce when to use commas CCSS:Lang 2
PHONICS: We will introduce suffixes -ness, -less, -able,- ible CCSS: FS: 3, Lang. 2
SPELLING: STUDYING YOUR WORDS EVERY NIGHT IS KEY! We ARE NOW INCREASING TO 20 WORDS A WEEK!!!!!!
Words for the week: This weeks story: Cowboys: CCSS:FS:3 Cohort B will copy in their HW notebook in the middle section AFTER they finish writing vocabulary words.
1.kindness 11. fearless
2.sadness 12. helpless
3. fitness 13. seedless
4. goodness 14. colorless
5. darkness 15. comfortable
6. sickness 16. affordable
7. weakness 17. lovable
8. useless 18. fixable
9. thankless 19. reversible
10.careless 20. terrible
VOCABULARY: Introduce Amazing Vocabulary Words. We will continue identifying the part of speech CCSS: Lang.6
Words for this weeks story: Cowboys. Cohort B will copy in their HW notebook in the middle section. On a clean page start with your complete heading (your name, the date on the first space,next line the name of your school and your class)
1. campfire-noun-an outdoor fire used for cooking and warmth
2. cattle-noun- cows and bulls raised for their milk or meat
3. cowboy-noun- a man that works on a cattle ranch or in a rodeo
4. gallop-verb- running fast,usually what horses do
5. herd- noun- a group of the same kind of animals
6. railroad-noun- a track of two steel rails that trains run on
7. trails-noun- over land paths
8. buck-a-roo-noun- a nickname for a cowboy
9. lariat-noun- a coiled loop of rope, also known as a lasso
10. chaps-noun- leather leggings worn for protection
MATH: This week we will continue Topic 13: Counting Money CCSS: 2MD.8
EQ: Can we count collections of coins to find a total amount from greatest to least value?
Students will understand that different coins have different values and when counting a total amount we start with the largest valued coin. Students will learn different ways to make the same amount of money using different coins.Students will also be introduced how to count greater amounts than one dollar and write the amount with a dollar sign and a cent symbol. We will also incorporate I-Ready practice lessons to sharpen our skills
SOCIAL STUDIES: We have completed Topic 5: All About Work
EQ: What is work?
Students will recall and understand: * that there are many different kinds of work * there is a difference between needs and wants * new key vocabulary words * students will work on needs and wants project in class
SCIENCE: We have introduce Unit D: Weather and other Earth Changes Students will be introduced to some key vocabulary words helping us to understand the weather and how it can affect us. We will review the water cycle by reviewing a song and referring back to our drawing in our notebooks. We will introduce different kinds of clouds
RELIGION: Introduce Chapter 23: The Church Lives Today
Content Knowledge: Students will recall and understand:
* Catholics belong to parish communities
* Bishops lead and serve the Church
* The Pope is the leader of the Church
* The Church is in every part of the world
Writing/Script: We will continue in school in our script workbooks. Students will practice for HW in their Script notebook
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER IN JUNE!
Tuesday June 15th- LAST DAY OF IN PERSON CLASSES FOR COHORT B
Wednesday, June 16th LAST DAY OF IN PERSON CLASSES FOR COHORT A
Thursday, June 17th Remote BOTH COHORTS till 10am Independent work will be assigned! Congratulations!!
8th Grade Graduation Mass at 10:30 Graduation Ceremony at 12:15 in Church All Faculty Attending!
Friday, June 18th Usual Remote Classes
Monday,June 21st- Thursday June 24th- REMOTE Half Days! 12 o’clock dismissal
FRIDAY JUNE 25th- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL REMOTE!
- SOM- Student Of The Month: October: Emeralda Noel November: Olive Ofodum December: Emma Udit January: Eden Delancy
- ACE- All Christian Effort: October: Malia Pierre November: Dylan Manswell December: Juanita Bonhomme January : Emeralda Noel