Welcome to Second Grade
Mrs. Luback’s Class
Note: If you are having trouble playing the video, click the “Pop-Out” icon in the top right corner of the player.
CONGRATULATIONS! You are now a member of Second Grade! My name is Mrs. Luback and I look forward to working with my new class as well as parents to improve, encourage and challenge each individual student to work to their fullest potential this school year. Although this year will be very different together we will learn while we are all challenged by this “new normal”.
Being a member of Class 2-1 means you are eager and ready to learn. Believe in yourself. Believe you can achieve. If you think someone could use a friend, be one! We are a winning team!
Let’s keep the lines of communication open. Working with your child is a team effort keeping in mind that not all learning takes place in the classroom……not all teaching is done by the teacher…..and not all learning is done by the children.
Take a look at how 2-1 is social distancing!
- Students ARRIVAL 7:45 assemble in the large school yard. DISMISSAL 2:50 in the large yard. Reminder please do not block the back door. Parents are to meet their child/children in the large school yard. Thank You!
- As the WEATHER CHANGES….. rain, extreme cold(40 degrees or below) snow, students will enter the building through the AVE. D ENTRANCE! Student will then meet their teacher in the cafeteria for breakfast up until 8:05
- Grade 2 will be using ClassDojo for all daily homework assignments and communication. Parents have been notified of class dojo and joining our class community. Please don’t wait get connected!
- We continue to practice the Core 4 to remain safe and healthy while in school
- Masks are required for ALL Faculty,Staff and Students
- Please remember to complete Daily the Health Screening for your child on FACTS By 7:15
- REMINDER Our school is PEANUT FREE! Please do not send into school any peanut products for lunch.
- School Uniform: Students are to be in full uniform daily
- black shoes only for boys and girls
- Girls no ballet flats, no nail polish Plain burgundy, black, or gray tights or knee socks
- Gym uniform school sweat pants and tee shirt, or school shorts No leggings are allowed for the girls
To speak with me with any concerns you may write a note, DOJO message me, email me at CLuback@scgstl.org or see me in the school yard at dismissal.
Class Schedule: Gym and Computer
TUESDAY: GYM- sneakers and gym uniform to be worn. Students may bring a water bottle
WEEKLY ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE POSTED HERE FOR THE WEEK AND DAILY ON OUR CLASS DOJO PAGE
Week of: OCTOBER 25th- OCTOBER 29th
READING : This week we will complete Unit 1: Week 5. This week we will introduce Story Title: The Strongest One. Our EQ we will be discussing: How does exploration help us find answers?
ELA/GRAMMAR: We will recall the two kinds of sentences we spoke about last week, declarative and interrogative and answer this weeks EQ:What are imperative and exclamatory sentences?
PHONICS: We will introduce Consonant Digraphs Incorporate I Ready with this weeks topic of learning
SPELLING: STUDYING YOUR WORDS EVERY NIGHT IS KEY!
Words for the week: This weeks story: The Strongest One
1. bunch 6. them
2. that 7. shape
3. patch 8. whale
4.when 9. itch
5.what 10. chase
VOCABULARY: Introduce Amazing Vocabulary Words.
Words for this weeks story: The Strongest One
1. delicate- fragile, easily torn or broken
2. sturdy- strong
3. inquire- to ask
4. exhibit- a display of information
5. resist- to fight against something
6. stunned- very surprised
7. satisfaction- a feeling of being content and pleased
8. genius-someone who is very intelligent
9. narrator- a person who tells a story
10. gnaw- to chew, bite, wear away
MATH: This week we will introduce Topic 3: Adding within 100 using strategies
EQ: What are strategies for adding numbers to 100?
Students will understand:new key words introduced: tens, ones, open number line, mental math,break apart use a hundreds chart to find sums, add tens and opens on an open number line, break apart numbers to add incorporate I-Ready with this weeks topic of learning
Continue Unit 2 All About Earth EQ: Can we identify and draw four different kinds of landform?
Students will be able to:recall content knowledge key vocabulary,discuss and write seven continents and four oceans, illustrate this weeks landforms in science notebook, present Halloween Map Project Due Tuesday Oct. 26th question answer s SCIENCE:
Complete Chapter 2 Animals Grow and Change. review key vocabulary. Recall different ways to classify animals
Students will understand : There are different groups of animals: Mammals, reptiles, amphibians and insects Students will write different characteristics of each group
This week we will carve a pumpkin and collect the seeds to plant to complete unit 1 Plants grow and Change.
Continue Chapters 3 We Celebrate God’s Love
Content Knowledge: Students will understand: we all belong to the Catholic Church we are baptized members of the church Catholics celebrate God’s love by praying and worshiping our church celebrates with seven special signs called sacraments
Incorporate The Child Lures Program. This is a program that helps children become aware of how to keep themeselves safe around people who are strangers as well as those people in our lives. Having conversations at home to help our children know how to be careful and alert to those around us in all kinds of situations.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER IN OCTOBER!
October 27th- Progress Reports to Parents
October 29th- Trunk or Treat Halloween Dress Up GUIDELINES: Pre assembled goodie bag are recommanded Covid Visitor policy is in effect( proof of vaccine or weekly negative COVID Test)
Costume masks cannot be used in place of a cloth mask. Do not wear costume masks over a cloth mask it can be dangerous making it hard to breath
Children DO NOT need candy bags. Through the kindness of our SCGSTL Family donations school was able to purchase bags for each student in the building
If you are not sending your child to school on Friday Oct. 29th, Please be sure to notify the school office as soon as possible
For our K-3 Students: NO costume weapons, devil costumes, inappropriate language on costumes
Please be sure your child is able to remove their costume to use the bathroom
Upcoming Dates In NOVEMBER!
Nov. 1st- All Saints Day Upper grades 9:00 Mass Lower grade Afternoon prayer service at 2:15
Nov. 2nd- Election Day- Virtual Zoom School Day
Nov. 5th- School CLOSED Teacher PD
Nov. 11th- Veteran’s Day – NO school
Nov. 15th- Scholastic Book Fair- more info to follow
Nov. 24th- Half Day Dismissal at 12:30 BUS STUDENTS ONLY DISMISSAL AT 12:00
Nov. 25th-28th- Thanksgiving Recess
Nov. 28th- Advent Begins
November 29th-December 3rd- Virtual Week Zoom classes only