Welcome to Second Grade: Mrs. Luback’s Class
Being a member of Class 2-1 means you are eager and ready to learn. Believe in yourself. Believe you can achieve. If you think someone could use a friend, be one! We are a winning team!
Let’s keep the lines of communication open. Working with your child is a team effort keeping in mind that not all learning takes place in the classroom……not all teaching is done by the teacher…..and not all learning is done by the children.
To speak with me with any concerns you may write a note, call the school office and leave a message for a return call, or email me at CLuback@scgstl.org
MONDAY: MUSIC & GYM
WEDNESDAY: COMPUTER & GYM
THIS WEEK IN SECOND GRADE
NOVEMBER 12th – NOVEMBER 16th
READING : This week we will continue Unit 2, Working Together. Our story for week 4: The Bremen Town Musicians. Our EQ that we will be discussing: Why is it a good idea to work together? The genre of this story is Drama/Fairy tale. The students will be able to complete a concept related graphic organizer relating how working together can get the job done quicker.
ELA/GRAMMAR: Review: the 4 different kinds of sentences declarative, interrogative, imperative and exclamatory. TEST ON Wednesday!We will review Our EQ from last week: What are Singular and Plural Nouns? We will also introduce plural nouns that change spellings and write the rules.
PHONICS: Plurals that change spellings.
SPELLING: Test is every Friday! Study your words every night! Don’t leave studying to the night before.
Words for the week: crumbs supplies centuries notes lunches stories tunes switches babies holidays
VOCABULARY: Test is every Friday! Parents please check the MIDDLE SECTION of your child’s HOMEWORK NOTEBOOK for words and definitions!
Words for the week: mill musician excitement robbers monster partnership survival solution miserable struggle
MATH:This week we will continue TOPIC 5: Place Value to 100.Children will work together modeling and comparing numbers and number groups using cubes and hands on manipulatives, rods and units. Students will be introduced to symbols <,>,= to help compare numbers. We will add ten more and take away ten less to identify new numbers as well as identify odd and even numbers.
SOCIAL STUDIES: VOTING PROJECT: followed all directions given! Your grade reflects your work and effort. Remember use only a HALF piece of oak tag. It can be purchased at school for .75. REMEMBER our class candidates are: Kaylee Madison, Ryan Fred Candidates are making a poster about them self, and why we should vote for you. We talked about a slogan. Your poster should have a catchy slogan. The rest of the class, the voters are choosing ONE CANDIDATE from above and tell why you are voting for that person, what are their good qualities. Be Creative! DUE DATE NOVEMBER 19th!
SCIENCE: We will review some key terms to help us better understand what a scientist does, while reviewing living and nonliving things.We will introduce plants and their parts, answering our EQ How do plants grow and change? and What are the parts of a plant and what is their job?We have carved our pumpkin in school and will use the seeds from the pumpkin to plant this week. We will observe the seeds and keep track of who’s seed germinates first.
RELIGION: We will continue to review the Seven Sacraments spending time turning and talking about the sacrament of Baptism and introducing the sacrament of Penance. We will introduce the prayer of forgiveness The Act of Contrition. NOVEMBER DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Nov.5th- Thanksgiving Food Drive Began. Please send in your donations for those less fortunate. Thank You!
- Nov. 21st Second grade will have a small thanksgiving breakfast.If you would like to contribute to our breakfast we will be needing corn muffins, butter, apple juice, small cups,napkins,small plates. Please let me know if you will be sending in any item before I go to shop on Tuesday November 20th. Thank you!
- Nov. 21st- Half Day 10:30 Mass for Thanksgiving All are welcome! Looking Ahead to December:
- Dec.1st- Breakfast with Santa- more info to follow
- SAVE THE DATE: THURSDAY DEC. 6th REPORT CARD NIGHT- 3:30-5:30 and 6:00-7:30. I look forward to speaking with my students parents to discuss their child’s progress in Second grade.
- Dec.7th School Mass 10:30 full uniform Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- Dec. 12th RADIO CITY SCHOOL TRIP
- Dec. 14th SCHOOL CHRISTMAS SHOW Grades performing:K- 2nd,4th,6th and 8th CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
- SOM- Student Of The Month: October- KAYLEE BRIZAN
- ACE- All Christian Effort: October- MEKHI KERR