Welcome to Ms. Cruz’s Fifth Grade Class
Please feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns and comments at email@example.com
REQUIRED SUMMER READING LIST FOR INCOMING 5th GRADERS:
REQUIRED/RECOMMENDED SUMMER READING—GR. 5
Here comes your summer reading assignment—choose well and enjoy! Summer reading assignments will count towards the first trimester in Grade 5. Many books are available on Amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, or Brooklyn Public Library. You may also download them to your Nook, Kindle, or Tablet as well.
Required: Choose two books from this list to complete your literature charts
- The Sweetest Sound (Sherri Winston)
- I Funny: A Middle School Story (James Patterson & Chris Grabenstein)
- Absolutely Almost (Lisa Graff)
- The Red Bicycle: The Extraordinary Story of One Ordinary Bicycle (Jude Isabella)
- As Brave As You Are (Jason Reynolds)
- Blue Birds (Caroline Starr Rose)
- Fish in a Tree (Lynda Mullaly Hunt)
- Magic, Madness, and Mischief (Kelly McCullough)
- Recommended–feel free to read more than 2 books. Here are some suggestions:
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Roald Dahl)
- The Land (Mildred D. Taylor)
- President of the Whole Fifth Grade (Sherri Winston)
- Breadcrumbs (Anne Ursu)
- The War That Saved My Life (Kimberly Brubaker Bradley)
- Save Me a Seat Sarah Weeks
- Any book from the Dear America Series
- Any book from the 39 Clues Series
Keep track of your daily reading on the reading log. For the Required Reading, you must complete a Literature Chart for each book (Complete chart in blue or black ink. Don’t forget to write your name.) The list of books above and Literature Chart will also be posted on my page (5th grade) on the school website at scgstl.org
Your reading assignments are to be handed in on the first day of school-9/5/18
5th Grade Summer Religion Assignment
In 5th grade the focus of our study will be the Seven Sacraments. For your summer assignment you are going to research one of the sacraments. This will be your first grade of the year.
Use a piece of 8.5” x 14” poster board. On the poster be sure to write the sacrament as well as your name. When you do your research, please make sure to research Catholic sacraments
The poster should be colorful and creative
Your task- Become an expert about 1 of the Sacraments. Prepare a presentation covering the following elements:
Explain your Sacrament
- What type of Sacrament is it? Initiation, healing or service (vocation).
- Identify the other Sacraments in this group.
- Explain the meaning of this Sacrament. In your answer, you should say something about what this shows about God’s relationship with us and something about the importance of this Sacrament in people’s lives.
History of the Sacrament
- Write four or five interesting facts about the history of the Sacrament. For example, has its name changed? Has the way it is celebrated changed?
The Sacrament today
- Who can administer this Sacrament? Eg, a priest? a lay person?
- When is this Sacrament celebrated? Can it be celebrated more than once?
- All the Sacraments involve visible actions, signs and rituals that have developed over time. Draw or show the essential sign and action that must be carried out when this Sacrament is celebrated. Explain it in one sentence.
- Write some of the key phrases or sentences that are spoken during this Sacrament. Identify who says each of these.
- Identify two other symbols associated with this Sacrament? Illustrate and explain each symbol.
This project is to be handed in on the first day of school–9/8/18
SUPPLY LIST—GRADE 5
THIS IS A LIST OF SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED THROUGHOUT THE SCHOOL YEAR.
Construction Paper ( a small amount for use in class)
Pencils (# 2)
Covered Pencil Sharpener
Small stapler and Staples
Pens ( Erasable-blue or black—NO GEL PENS.
Ruler (6”or 12”) with Centimeters and Inches
Hand Sanitizer (Personal Size)
Chapter Book or Informational Book
*No Binders due to limited desk space
**Parents—please send me an email with your child’s name so I can add you to my contact list. I will contact you before the end of summer. Feel free to contact me as well for any questions or concerns that you may have. Have a safe and enjoyable summer!
Ms. Eileen Cruz